Foreign food in Japanese markets?
Dave C
2004-07-12 01:00:01 UTC
Hello,

I will fly to Hachinohe, Japan and from there go to sea on a ship for 30
days. I like Japanese food but I would like to get some foreign food to
take with me on the ship.

Please tell me if I can buy any of these items in a supermarket in
Hachinohe.

Olive oil
Canned tomatoes
Italian style pasta
balsamic vinegar
plain, unflavored yogurt
popcorn kernels in bulk
potatoes
any Indian condiments like lemon pickle
brown rice
French or Italian bread (with tough crust)
Italian or French cheese
shelled nuts like walnuts

Is there anything on this list which would cost a lot of money at a Japanese
supermarket?
Are there foreign specialty food stores in Hachinohe?

I presume that I could not bring this stuff into Japan because of
agricultural restrictions. Also, I do not want to carry too much weight in
my luggage.

Thanks for your help,

DaveC
m***@netMAPSONscape.net
2004-07-12 01:15:01 UTC
Post by Dave C
I will fly to Hachinohe, Japan and from there go to sea on a ship for 30
days. I like Japanese food but I would like to get some foreign food to
take with me on the ship.
Please tell me if I can buy any of these items in a supermarket in
Hachinohe.
Dunno much about Hachinohe, but I go every year to a similar-sized city
in Shikoku. Here's what'd be available at a regular supermarket.
Post by Dave C
Olive oil
Yep. SMALL bottles, usually.
Post by Dave C
Canned tomatoes
Yep.
Post by Dave C
Italian style pasta
Well, spagetti.
Post by Dave C
balsamic vinegar
Sometimes.
Post by Dave C
plain, unflavored yogurt
You gotta be lucky to find this.
Post by Dave C
popcorn kernels in bulk
Hmm, never saw it, but then I never looked for it.
Post by Dave C
potatoes
Almost anywhere in Japan.
Post by Dave C
any Indian condiments like lemon pickle
Probably not, though you'll find some odd SE Asian condiments in
various places. You could likely find chutney.
Post by Dave C
brown rice
Yep.
Post by Dave C
French or Italian bread (with tough crust)
Best bet is the market section of a department store (usually the
basement.) Good white breads of varying kinds, including some
decent French breads. Never saw a real sourdough or Italian bread
in Japan, though.
Post by Dave C
Italian or French cheese
Not unless there's a specialty foreign market.
Post by Dave C
shelled nuts like walnuts
Yep.
Post by Dave C
Is there anything on this list which would cost a lot of money at a Japanese
supermarket?
The cheeses, if available. Olive oil, too. Most others should be
reasonable.
Post by Dave C
Are there foreign specialty food stores in Hachinohe?
I looked up the "tourism" page for Hachinohe, and here're the phone #s
for a coupla tourism sections. Maybe they can help.

Tourist Information:

* Hachinohe City Commerce, Industry and Tourism Section
c/o Hachinohe city Hall 1-1-1 Uchimaru Hachinohe
TEL:0178-43-2111(Operator)
* Hachinohe Tourism Association
(In Local Industry Promotion Center)
TEL:0178-23-4771
Post by Dave C
I presume that I could not bring this stuff into Japan because of
agricultural restrictions.
Some of it, you could, as long as it's unopened.
Post by Dave C
Also, I do not want to carry too much weight in my luggage.
There's always that.

Mike
Dave C
2004-07-12 13:30:01 UTC
Thanks Mike,

I may give the tourist offices a call. But they probably don't get many
calls about buying plain yogurt.

On my ship they will have a lot of sticky white rice. Cook is Philipino and
top officers are Korean. I prefer to enjoy my rice with yogurt and Indian
pickle - which is very tasty. But the Philipinos have a shocked look on
their faces when they see me tuck into that mess.

I could eat spagetti with a light marinara sauce and parmesan cheese every
meal for a month. But on ships, when they do have pasta, they favor a sauce
which is mostly meat and grease - and it isn't olive oil. I don't think
Philipinos traditionally use tomatoes in their cooking, but they love meat.

Nice to know that they sell potatoes and good bread. I have heard that
Japan has some exotic rices. This is my chance to try them out.

Popcorn is a great treat and usually very popular with European seamen.
Some Philipinos like it but others won't touch it. Its really cheap if you
buy the kernels in bulk. Very expensive if you buy the little microwave
bags. Also a lot of ships do not have microwave ovens.

I am hoping that the ship picks up some very good fish in Hachinohe. Maybe
also some seasonal fruit and vegetables. Ship chandlers sometimes pass off
bad stuff on ships crews. Certainly the fruit tends to be green and
flavorless. Maybe the steward will be a real wizzard in purchasing.

I will be in Tokyo overnight. Maybe I can pick up olive oil, balsamic
vinegar and cheese there - and take them with me to Hachinohe.

Thanks again,

DaveC
Post by m***@netMAPSONscape.net
Post by Dave C
I will fly to Hachinohe, Japan and from there go to sea on a ship for 30
days. I like Japanese food but I would like to get some foreign food to
take with me on the ship.
Please tell me if I can buy any of these items in a supermarket in
Hachinohe.
Dunno much about Hachinohe, but I go every year to a similar-sized city
in Shikoku. Here's what'd be available at a regular supermarket.
Post by Dave C
Olive oil
Yep. SMALL bottles, usually.
Post by Dave C
Canned tomatoes
Yep.
Post by Dave C
Italian style pasta
Well, spagetti.
Post by Dave C
balsamic vinegar
Sometimes.
Post by Dave C
popcorn kernels in bulk
Hmm, never saw it, but then I never looked for it.
Post by Dave C
potatoes
Almost anywhere in Japan.
Post by Dave C
any Indian condiments like lemon pickle
Probably not, though you'll find some odd SE Asian condiments in
various places. You could likely find chutney.
Post by Dave C
brown rice
Yep.
Post by Dave C
Italian or French cheese
Not unless there's a specialty foreign market.
Post by Dave C
shelled nuts like walnuts
Yep.
Mike
Justin Meyer
2004-07-14 01:30:02 UTC
Post by Dave C
plain, unflavored yogurt
You gotta be lucky to find this.
Really? Well...

I *just* got back from my first two weeks in Japan, staying with a local
friend in Tokyo. She was in the habit of making her *own* dairy and
soy-based yogurt. She got a base culture, dumped it with some milk in a
plastic container, and let it sit at room temperature for a few hours.

I believe you should be able to get the culture at least some places --
I seem to recall seeing it in the downstairs food section of a
particular department store in the Ginza district. It might have been
named "Mitsuya" or something not even remotely similar :) I do seem to
recall that the particular dept store was across the street from the
bakery that supposedly brought us ampan. I realize those directions are
not the most helpful -- But it can be done...

Good luck!

Justin
m***@netMAPSONscape.net
2004-07-15 00:45:02 UTC
Post by Dave C
plain, unflavored yogurt
You gotta be lucky to find this.
Really? Well...
Yep. Remember, we were talking about a town of about 250-300k people.
Post by Justin Meyer
I *just* got back from my first two weeks in Japan, staying with a local
friend in Tokyo. She was in the habit of making her *own* dairy and
soy-based yogurt. She got a base culture, dumped it with some milk in a
plastic container, and let it sit at room temperature for a few hours.
Sounds good, 'cept for the "soy-based". Still, does she market it
anywhere?
Post by Justin Meyer
I believe you should be able to get the culture at least some places --
I seem to recall seeing it in the downstairs food section of a
particular department store in the Ginza district. It might have been
named "Mitsuya" or something not even remotely similar :) I do seem to
Matsuzakaya? I remember they had a lot of decent stuff. Only place
in Tokyo (ca. 1988) where I could get a REAL espresso, too.

I believe there was also a Mitsukoshi, or something like that, down
the street.
Post by Justin Meyer
recall that the particular dept store was across the street from the
bakery that supposedly brought us ampan. I realize those directions are
not the most helpful -- But it can be done...
Now, if you can find me a place, even in Tokyo, that sells REAL
pumpernickel bread, I'll buy you a beer to drink with it.

Mike

James Eckman
2004-07-14 02:30:02 UTC
Post by Dave C
Hello,
I will fly to Hachinohe, Japan and from there go to sea on a ship for 30
days. I like Japanese food but I would like to get some foreign food to
take with me on the ship.
You can always make Japanese Spaghetti. Soba noodles, catsup, and those
little tasteless miniature hot dogs. Used to be a place in Gardena
California that served it. I've never tried it myself though ^_^. If
your lucky it's no longer made.

Jim
Dave C
2004-07-14 13:30:01 UTC
What an awful thought. Good pasta with marinara sauce is the nectar of the
gods. But I admit that I have tried, even cooked, plenty of terrible stuff
myself.

Tonight my wife made up a batch of sauce out of fresh, home-grown tomatoes
and fresh basil; aah.

Dave C