Geisha & Maiko in England!
sakura
2006-04-03 13:03:49 UTC
You are Invited to

The UK's Largest Japanese Festival

23rd-25th May
Swinton Park, near Masham, North Yorkshire

Featuring two genuine geisha from Kyoto who will perform music, dance
and tea ceremony at a series of special events. As it is virtually
impossible to meet geisha in Japan (never mind North Yorkshire!), we
are honoured that they have agreed to make their first ever UK public
appearance at our events.

As for the rest of the festival, you can wander around the grounds of
the castle and see the UK's leading experts at many Japanese arts such as
calligraphy, martial arts, samurai sword demonstrations, flowers, food,
abacus, go, origami, dance, kite fighting, Japanese garden society and
much more...

If you like, you can take a tour inside the castle where there are
exhibitions of artwork, geisha memorabilia, dolls and kimono, as well
as a quality art and gift fair featuring both local and Japanese stands.

This is truly a day out not to be missed and we are offering discounts for
groups of 10 or more, with entry at just =A33.50 per person if pre-booked.

Entry to the special geisha events varies, and details for these can
be found on our website www.vintagekimono.co.uk (tickets may be booked
online) or you can email me with your address and I shall send you
a leaflet.

There are even a limited number of unique B&B packages, where you
can stay in the castle (which is also a luxury hotel) with the geisha!
Nothing like this has ever happened before in the world, so here is your
chance to be a part of something really special.

If you would like any more information or a brochure please email or
call me on 07871 4786011.

We look forward to welcoming you to the delights of Japanese culture!

***@tiscali.co.uk
www.vintagekimono.co.uk=20
07871 486011
Marshall Price
2006-04-30 18:17:30 UTC
Nothing like this has ever happened before...
In 1990 and 1991, Miami's sister city, Kagoshima, honored us with two
marvelous springtime week-end festivals in a beautiful Japanese garden
here in Miami.

They weren't as ambitious as what you describe here, but were
nevertheless among the most exciting and wonderful events of my life.
They lifted my spirits, opened my eyes, and broadened my horizons
permanently.

We witnessed demonstrations of the traditional arts: many varieties of
kimono, dances, drumming, martial arts, tea ceremony, flower arranging,
calligraphy, bonsai, kite-flying, and antiques.

There were prizes to be won by chance: happi (thin, colorful cotton
jackets designed for special events; I won a beautiful one!), paper
fans, handkerchiefs, calligraphy, free passes to special events, etc.

Besides the demonstrations, there was a huge array of temporary shops
selling curiosities, souvenirs, toys, clothing, all sorts of things from
dirt cheap to staggeringly expensive.

And there were many people from Kagoshima in attendance, all bilingual,
of course, and friendly. We exchanged business cards and pleasantries.

Unfortunately, that was before computers and Internet access, so we've
lost touch. 8-(

It sure looks like you're going to have a lot of fun! I wish I could be
there.
--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c
Kastor
2006-05-17 18:15:54 UTC
Post by Marshall Price
[...]
Hi,

Please tell me if you hear of anything like it in France !