Visiting Japanese Research Scientist
k***@gmail.com
2005-04-06 13:30:02 UTC
Hello,

I work at a university research lab, and we just started hosting a
research scientist visiting from Japan. The problem is, his spoken
English isn't the best.

Well, I have minimal knowledge of the Japanese language from three
years of academic study in high school. Would it be culturally
acceptable to try to speak to him in his native language, or would that
be more of an insult, implying that his English isn't at an acceptable
level?

It isn't really a critical problem that we can't communicate through
speech that well, since his English writing skills are excellent. I
just wanted to be more "welcoming."
Cindy
2005-04-07 00:15:03 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hello,
I work at a university research lab,
Can I ask which field?
Post by k***@gmail.com
and we just started hosting a
research scientist visiting from Japan. The problem is, his spoken
English isn't the best.
Well, I have minimal knowledge of the Japanese language from three
years of academic study in high school.
Excuse me, but your Japanese can not be useful. Don't even think about
it.
Post by k***@gmail.com
Would it be culturally
acceptable to try to speak to him in his native language, or would that
be more of an insult, implying that his English isn't at an acceptable
level?
You are in the USA, right? You should speak English not only to
everybody but to him. Then, you're fine.
I'll bet he likes sports bars. Take him for some beer.
m***@netMAPSONscape.net
2005-04-07 13:30:02 UTC
Post by Cindy
Post by k***@gmail.com
and we just started hosting a
research scientist visiting from Japan. The problem is, his spoken
English isn't the best.
Well, I have minimal knowledge of the Japanese language from three
years of academic study in high school.
Excuse me, but your Japanese can not be useful. Don't even think about
it.
Sorry, this is silly. Every Japanese (indeed, almost every foreigner)
I've ever met who's been visitting this country professionally
appreciates the attempt to communicate in their language, even if it's
not spoken wonderfully.
Post by Cindy
Post by k***@gmail.com
It isn't really a critical problem that we can't communicate through
speech that well, since his English writing skills are excellent. I
just wanted to be more "welcoming."
I'll bet he likes sports bars. Take him for some beer.
Possibly the only good idea you've ever had.

Mike
Cindy
2005-04-08 03:30:02 UTC
Post by m***@netMAPSONscape.net
Possibly the only good idea you've ever had.
Mike
Mike, why don't you make yourself a little useful to the poster who is
seeking some help. It's OK to disagree with me. I know you always have
to go against me, but the main point is to help Kevin with interacting
with the Japanese scholar. Instead of criticizing my opinions, why
don't you contribute good ideas?

Just FYI, since I don't enjoy discussions with you at all. I don't even
read your follow-ups to my posts. I don't have time for this, OK. It's
just so meaningless to argue with anybody who has nothing in common.
m***@netMAPSONscape.net
2005-04-09 14:30:02 UTC
Post by Cindy
Post by m***@netMAPSONscape.net
Possibly the only good idea you've ever had.
Mike, why don't you make yourself a little useful to the poster who is
seeking some help.
You mean I could say

"Every Japanese (indeed, almost every foreigner) I've ever met who's
been visitting this country professionally appreciates the attempt
to communicate in their language, even if it's not spoken wonderfully."
Post by Cindy
It's OK to disagree with me.
Thanks.
Post by Cindy
I know you always have to go against me,
Just when you're wrong. Saying

"Excuse me, but your Japanese can not be useful. Don't even think about
it."

is simply silly. People with manners appreciate the efforts taken to
learn their language, particularly when it's not a language like
English, the de facto international language. Frankly, I have
never met a Japanese who didn't like the fact that an American
(or European) was trying to learn their language.
Post by Cindy
but the main point is to help Kevin with interacting
with the Japanese scholar. Instead of criticizing my opinions, why
don't you contribute good ideas?
I did; you seemingly did not read the response.
Post by Cindy
Just FYI, since I don't enjoy discussions with you at all.
Well, now you're hurting my feelings.

Mike

gtr
2005-04-07 00:15:01 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Well, I have minimal knowledge of the Japanese language from three
years of academic study in high school. Would it be culturally
acceptable to try to speak to him in his native language, or would that
be more of an insult, implying that his English isn't at an acceptable
level?
No. People try to communicate in languages they are learning without
it being an insult. Apologize for your poor Japanese; I'm sure you
would anyway. I don't think it's considered poor form for *more than
one* person to speak a language poorly. The more the merrier.
Thank you and have a nice day.
James Eckman
2005-04-07 00:15:04 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hello,
I work at a university research lab, and we just started hosting a
research scientist visiting from Japan. The problem is, his spoken
English isn't the best.
Well, I have minimal knowledge of the Japanese language from three
years of academic study in high school. Would it be culturally
acceptable to try to speak to him in his native language, or would that
be more of an insult, implying that his English isn't at an acceptable
level?
That's a tough one, one way would be to welcome him in English and ask
his permission to practice your Japanese. I suspect that his spoken
English is much better than your Japanese if you took it in high school,
I would only request that if I was serious about improving my Japanese.
Post by k***@gmail.com
It isn't really a critical problem that we can't communicate through
speech that well, since his English writing skills are excellent. I
just wanted to be more "welcoming."
Keep dictionaries, pencil and paper handy? Most of the visiting scholars
I've met through Stanford are pretty cool people, I think you won't have
any real problems one way or the other anyway. For some, their goal is
to improve their English as well as perform whatever study they are here
for as well, so in some cases they just want to speak English.

I don't know how long your scholar is staying, but if they have a spouse
along, you may want to see if your university has some support network
for that, it's tough getting along day to day if you don't speak any
English and have never travelled. Of course check and see if they need
it, the spouse may have more travel experience and speak better English!

Jim Eckman

Jim Eckman